Sunday, September 6, 2009

Review: Defining Twilight + Contest

Brian Leaf was kind enough to send me a review copy of his vocabulary workbook Defining Twilight.

The basic premise of this workbook is pure genius. You look up a word in Twilight, guess what it means based on context, then check to see if you were right. Then you take quizzes on the words.

Honestly, I feel like I don't really have a grasp on a word until I see it in context, so this kind of vocab book is perfect for me. It really drives the definitions home.

There was only one concern I had with this book. I thought that if it only pulled words from Twilight, I wouldn't be learning much. But just flipping through, I saw plenty of words I didn't know.

If you're looking for a vocab book, this is as good as any. Actually, it's better because you'll probably grasp words easier if they're connected to something you're interested in. Every word counts, and you never know what collegeboard will throw at you.

Also, Defining New Moon comes out in October, for all the Jacob-lovers like myself out there. I really hope they start to Define the Classics, like Defining Crime and Punishment.

If you'd like this book, become a follower, then leave your e-mail below for 1 entry.

+1 follow Reading in Color
+1 follow Color Online
+1 refer someone
+1 if you were referred

Contest ends September 20th!

Tashi <3

P.S. Free Rice is a great study tool, and for every word you get right, they donate 10 grains of rice to the needy. Also, it adjusts difficulty as you get words right or wrong.

8 comments:

WhatBriReads said...

I love the Free Rice website :)
This book sounds interesting, enter me please!

Briana
getanzt@gmail.com

AnAddictedBookReader said...

Awesome, thanks.
+1 follow Reading in Color
+1 follow Color Online
adrienne2093(AT)comcast(DOT)net

Katie Alender said...

How funny! As part of info I put together for teachers, I went through Bad Girls and pulled out all of the vocabulary words I found. There were a lot of them, actually!

Great idea to use it as a study tool.

throuthehaze said...

follower!
throuthehaze at gmail dot com

Katie said...

Enter me! I'm a follower.
katiesbookshelf@ymail.com

Brittany said...

I think I need to see what this is all about.

+2 follow this blog and Color online

thanks.

teensatthelibrary[at]yahoo[dot]com

MissA said...

Thanks for letting me know about FreeRice! And posting about my contest :)

Paradox said...

I'm a follower. Enter me please!

+1 follow Reading in Color
+1 follow Color Online

paradoxrevealed (at) aim (dot) com

 
Blog Widget by LinkWithin